Can I change the UOM in my stocks?
1. PRODUCT UOM
The most important product UOM that need to maintain integrity is the STOCK UOM. It is the basis of this UOM that the system calculates costing and conversion factors etc. All Sales and Purchase UOMs in the system can be changed, but depending on the situation, the user may or may not change the STOCK UOMs in the system.
1.1 PRODUCT HAS NO TRANSACTION YET
If there are no prior transactions, you may change the UOM for this product freely. Simply go to Product Maintenance and click on the Stock UOM and change at will.
1.2 PRODUCT ALREADY HAVE TRANSACTION(S)s
If there are already transaction(s), you are not allowed to change the STOCK UOM.Example, if this is already cost in system at $5 per bottle, and the UOM is changed to carton of 24, the system will start to have wrong cost à $5 per carton of 24.
2. MANAGING UOMS
2.1CREATE A NEW UOM
- Go to Inventory – Maintenance – Unit of Measure
- Create the UOM code and the UOM Description – and you have a new UOM now.
2.2PRODUCTS WITH DIFFERENT UOMS
- Go to Inventory – Maintenance – Product Maintenance
- Select (or create) a product and click on the UOM tab
- Select the Stock UOM and alternative UOMs and enter the Conversion Factor
- You may enter unlimited number of conversions here.
- After this is set, you may transact in any of the UOM that is specified here.
3. HOW TO CHANGE UOM IF TRANSACTION(S) EXISTS?
REMEDY: You can only create a new product code with the new UOM. Perform an IT transaction; issue of the item in bottles, and receive back the item (in new code) in carton. After that is completed, and the old code is zerolized, simply inactivate the old code.